RE: Last Call: <draft-arkko-ipv6-only-experience-04.txt> (Experiences from an IPv6-Only Network) to Informational RFC

2011-12-16 07:19:37
I support the work behind this document, but I do have a concern that gives me
pause regarding publishing it as an RFC in its current form.

I worry that it will serve as a disincentive for people to attempt IPv6-only
deployments. This is not because of the way that it's written, nor a commentary
on the quality of the document itself. I think that it does a good job of
noting that it is a snapshot and that things will continue to improve, etc. but
it runs afoul of the limitations of the IETF's document process- a static
document reporting "current" test findings is almost instantly obsolete. This
is a much larger problem than this draft, but it is something to consider when
thinking about the content of this draft and how it will be interpreted, the
audience, etc.

If the draft were to focus strictly on things which the *IETF* must fix in
order to resolve outstanding problems with IPv6-only operation, those would be
clearly actionable and new drafts written to resolve those issues could
"update" this one, so that it's clear to future readers when something
materially changes. In its current form, most of the noted "broken" things are
related to specific implementations and therefore largely beyond the IETF's
control (eg Skype, video game consoles, mobile phone stacks, etc). Unless it is
updated with bis versions periodically when those issues are found to be
resolved, it has the potential to mislead people as a source of information
that they might use to determine if they should even consider trying this. Some
of that information perhaps is better suited to a curated wiki, since it is
easier to update it as the situation improves. FWIW,
draft-donley-nat444-impacts has similar problems - very useful information, but
not well-suited to s
 tatic documents.

I don't know if that's enough to block the document, and I'm not going to be
upset if it's published as-is, but I thought it was something that IESG should
consider in their evaluation of the document. Perhaps it's a matter of delaying
it for a bit and touching the document with updates to keep it active until we
feel like we've reached an equilibrium after a bit more IPv6 deployment over
the next 6-12 or even 18 months.

Thanks,

Wes George