Re: Last Call: <draft-arkko-ipv6-only-experience-04.txt> (Experiences from an IPv6-Only Network) to Informational RFC

2011-12-17 12:59:58
On 12/16/11 05:18 , George, Wes wrote:
I support the work behind this document, but I do have a concern that
gives me pause regarding publishing it as an RFC in its current
form.

I worry that it will serve as a disincentive for people to attempt
IPv6-only deployments. This is not because of the way that it's
written, nor a commentary on the quality of the document itself. I
think that it does a good job of noting that it is a snapshot and
that things will continue to improve, etc. but it runs afoul of the
limitations of the IETF's document process- a static document
reporting "current" test findings is almost instantly obsolete. This
is a much larger problem than this draft, but it is something to
consider when thinking about the content of this draft and how it
will be interpreted, the audience, etc.

If the draft were to focus strictly on things which the *IETF* must
fix in order to resolve outstanding problems with IPv6-only
operation, those would be clearly actionable and new drafts written
to resolve those issues could "update" this one, so that it's clear
to future readers when something materially changes. In its current
form, most of the noted "broken" things are related to specific
implementations and therefore largely beyond the IETF's control (eg
Skype, video game consoles, mobile phone stacks, etc). Unless it is
updated with bis versions periodically when those issues are found to
be resolved, it has the potential to mislead people as a source of
information that they might use to determine if they should even
consider trying this. Some of that information perhaps is better
suited to a curated wiki, since it is easier to update it as the
situation improves. FWIW, draft-donley-nat444-impacts has similar
problems - very useful information, but not well-suited to s tatic
documents.

I don't know if that's enough to block the document, and I'm not
going to be upset if it's published as-is, but I thought it was
something that IESG should consider in their evaluation of the
document. Perhaps it's a matter of delaying it for a bit and touching
the document with updates to keep it active until we feel like we've
reached an equilibrium after a bit more IPv6 deployment over the next
6-12 or even 18 months.

given that poeple are still noodling with ipv4 even now, I don't think
there's anymore danger of us being done in 18 months. I guess what I
would observe about documents like this is that people read them mostly
to the extent that they are germain to the problems that they have. at
some point the information here will be obsolecent, and if it's
important enough someone will undertake a new document, but maybe it
won't be.

Thanks,

Wes George

-----Original Message----- From: ietf-announce-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org