Re: Last Call: <draft-yevstifeyev-disclosure-relation-00.txt> (The 'disclosure' Link Relation Type) to Informational RFC

2012-01-01 12:31:21
* Mykyta Yevstifeyev wrote:
I'd like to seek consensus on separating the semantics of link
relation for separate disclosure and a list thereof, correspondingly
defining two link relations - 'disclosure' and 'disclosure-list'.  You
may see my edits made to Section 2 of the doc. below, which I'm
proposing:

2. 'disclosure' Link Relation Type

  Whenever the 'disclosure' relation is defined, the target IRI
  [RFC5988] MUST refer to a particular patent disclosure made with
  respect to the material being referenced by context IRI.

3. 'disclosure-list' Link Relation Type

  Whenever the 'disclosure' relation is defined, the target IRI MUST
  designate a list of patent disclosures made with respect to the
  material being referenced by context IRI.

As the doc. is in Last Call now, in order not to initiate a new one,
please comment on these changes before January 6, so that I could know
which version I should submit for IESG evaluation.

I do not think you should (be able to) make such a change without a new
Last Call, and I disagree with the separation. Reasons include that it's
unclear which relation you use if you have one disclosure where many
patents are disclosed; would that be "disclosure" because it's just one
disclosure, or would it be a "disclosure-list" because many patents are
disclosed? On the German Wikipedia people are even used to flamewars
concerning List articles that have no or just one item, where some ar-
gue that you need at least two items to have a list. In this sense you
could probably always use 'disclosure-list' in place of 'disclosure' if
you think empty and single item lists are meaningful concepts.
--
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:bjoern(_at_)hoehrmann(_dot_)de ·
http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de