Re: Protocol Definition

2012-01-05 11:07:07
On 1/5/2012 6:48 AM, Dave CROCKER wrote:

On 1/4/2012 2:07 AM, Yaakov Stein wrote:
A protocol is to communications what an algorithm is to computation.

The mantra that I was taught many years ago was that a process is a
program in execution.  A program is the instructions.  That seems
compatible with the above observations.

(One can quibble about the difference between algorithm and program.  An
algorithm is a component of a program.

The program is the code-based implementation of the alg?

 The distinction is relevant here
because a protocol is typically a complete mechanism rather than being a
component of the mechanisms.

I.e. "A complete method of doing something"...

On the other hand, an entire Internet
service might comprise multiple protocols.)

Yes but the Service then is a superset of the Protocols themselves in
that instance as opposed to a single service.

My question is:

     If protocol corresponds with program or algorithm, then what is the
communications term that corresponds to process?

I think Event Streams seems to be the best way of categorizing those
happenings (or events).

     It's tempting to say "port number", but that doesn't seem very
satisfying.

No, you are right here and it's because there may be no ports/sockets in
the protocol as in IPC for instance.

d/

--
Todd S. Glassey
This is from my personal email account and any materials from this

Further I OPT OUT of any and all commercial emailings.