Re: Protocol Definition

2012-01-09 08:31:15
What I feel that protocol is rules for any mode of communication or for
exchange of data.
e.g. - People speaks in English and English grammar is kind of protocol
otherwise it is difficult to understand communication if sentences are not
properly as per grammar. Now you can have a point that even we can
understand semantic of the sentence even if it is not correct as per
grammar; it is because we are human being and we can understand by guessing
intelligence. But it is difficult/impossible in networking to transfer data
without protocol because at every received byte or every received chunk of
bytes you can not have artificial intelligence to decode the received data.

other example: you have some rules to play every games- rules in chess,
football, tennis etc.

In this way I understand protocol is must and needed set of rules in every
communication (networking  or in-human) special to make it is successful.

Otherwise without protocol, things will be left on wild guess or on sixth
sense of the system.

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 4:08 AM, Martin Sustrik <sustrik(_at_)250bpm(_dot_)com>