Re: Protocol Definition

2012-01-05 21:04:11

On 1/5/2012 1:41 PM, Dave Cridland wrote:
Association, to my mind, means a transport layer connection, hence it's usage in
SNMP and other OSI-related things.

Session isn't much less damaged, as a term, I admit, but it is in common usage.
And like algorithms, and protocols, you can open up a session to find other
sessions inside.

Actually, my recollection is that 'association' was an application-level construct from OSI.

But I came to the same conclusion as you: "session" is an established term in IETF parlance and has the basic reality of describing a protocol in operation between two (or more?) hosts/endsystems/endpoints/...

Does this resonate with others?

d/
--

  Dave Crocker