Re: Protocol Definition

2012-01-08 16:39:03
On 08/01/12 13:00, John Day wrote:

You are also correct that strictly speaking the words "protocol" and
"algorithm" are probably the same.

That is an interesting point.

What I encounter often is the belief that protocol is just "description of bytes on the wire". People often forget about the stuff that cannot be seen on the wire (e.g. TCP state machine).

The area I work in has little or no special "bytes on wire" (simple message-based underlying transport is sufficient) but a lot of algorithmic stuff. Consequently, it was often dismissed as not being a protocol.

Martin