Re: Protocol Definition

2012-01-09 08:40:08

On 1/8/2012 12:03 AM, t.petch wrote:
I agree that a message is not the right word, but I think that protocol is:-)

There is a specific distinction that is intended by having two different words: description vs. operation.

A program is a description of behavior. A process is the operation of the description. It is the behavioral performance.

Protocol refers to the description of an interaction. The term being explored is for the operation of that description. It is the interaction.

For the abstract side of networking, I would use the same terminology as I would
use for a 'program'.

If you mean that you would say 'process' for both, that does have the appeal of familiarity, but the problem of overloading. Worse, I'd fear that it encourages a failure to appreciate the differences between networking architecture and software implementation. Since this failure is quite prevalent, I suggest we not encourage it.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking