Re: Protocol Definition

2012-01-05 11:54:33
On 1/5/12 9:13 AM, Dave CROCKER wrote:
 On 1/5/2012 7:01 AM, Dave Cridland wrote:
> On Thu Jan 5 14:48:54 2012, Dave CROCKER wrote:
>> If protocol corresponds with program or algorithm, then what is
>> the communications term that corresponds to process?
>>
>> It's tempting to say "port number", but that doesn't seem very
>> satisfying.
>
> "Session"?

 That's an appealing suggestion. It is based on a 'state' existing
 between the two end points and it is above transport (so we don't
 have to worry about tcp vs udp vs...).

 On the other hand, isn't a session able to have more than one
 "connection" and, therefore, possibly be running more than one
 protocol?

Dave,

Agreed. A multiple stream protocol aggregates multiple endpoints into an Association where each then signals supported protocols. Within each protocol, various algorithms are applied, often in phases such as Bind, Listen, Accept, Connect, Close, Shutdown, SendMsg, RecvMsg, GetPeerName. An algorithm might be expressed using computer languages that incorporate elaborate mathematical models, such as simple hash functions used to validate packets. One of the protocols supported is SDP Session Description Protocol that carries media over the multiple streams. This provides for Sessions, Associations and Connections.

See:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-loreto-mmusic-sctp-sdp-07#page-3

-Doug