Re: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-14.txt> (IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Address Space) to BCP

2012-01-30 19:51:46
Hi,

     Shared Address Space is IPv4 address space designated for Service
     Provider use with the purpose of facilitating CGN deployment.  Also,
     Shared Address Space can be used as additional [RFC1918] space when
     at least one of the following conditions is true:

     o  Shared Address Space is not also used on the Service Provider side
        of the CPE.

     o  CPE routers behave correctly when using the same address block on
        both the internal and external interfaces.

I see that this change is in response to an IESG comment, but I think it's
a mistake. Encouraging sites to use yet more ambiguous address space based
on conditions that they may not even understand, or that may change when they
switch ISPs or replace CPEs, seems wrong.

    Brian