Re: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-14.txt> (IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Address Space) to BCP

2012-02-09 14:59:34
Ron,

On Feb 9, 2012, at 12:40 PM, Ronald Bonica wrote:
At NANOG 54, ARIN reported that they are down to 5.6 /8s. If just four ISPs
ask for a /10 for CGN, we burn one of those /8s.

Is that really a good idea?

Long ago, I once proposed a policy at ARIN to try to extend the IPv4 runway.
One of the most common responses I received (including from several members of
ARIN's AC) was "let it run out naturally", with the rationale being either:

a) "it'll force people to move to IPv6"
b) "we spent a lot of money to prepare for IPv6 because we knew it was coming
soon, we don't want to give our competitors who fiddled the summer away more
time"

I suspect those people would answer "yes" (well, unless their opinions have
changed as reality starts biting).

Regards,
-drc