RE: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-14.txt> (IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Address Space) to BCP

2012-02-09 16:54:43
Hi Ron,
At 12:40 PM 2/9/2012, Ronald Bonica wrote:
At NANOG 54, ARIN reported that they are down to 5.6 /8s. If just four ISPs ask for a /10 for CGN, we burn one of those /8s.

Is that really a good idea?

The short answer is no.

The long answer is a bit complicated as it would be difficult to justify efficient utilization of a /10 within a three-month time frame. There are also specific policies which can be used to get a /10.

From an IETF perspective, I understand that the IESG is faced with a difficult decision and I respect its decision.

I note that Chris Grundemann has been fair when we interacted in a non-IETF venue.

Based on the above, I'll keep the -1 for the determination of consensus.

Regards,
-sm