Re: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-14.txt> (IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Address Space) to BCP

2012-02-13 15:47:10
    > From: Doug Barton <dougb(_at_)dougbarton(_dot_)us>

    > I haven't kept up to date on all of the RIRs' policies for granting
    > requests, but I don't recall seeing "give me a huge block so that I
    > can do CGN" as one of the established criteria.

An ISP needs a block of size X for CGN only if it has X customers, right?  So
they can legitimately go to an RIR and say "I have X customers, please give me
a block of size X". The fact that the block is not then advertized globally,
but only used to number their CGN'd network, is neither here nor there.

Needless to say, if multiple ISPs do this, it will use _more_ address space
than simply giving them all a CGN block to share. (Unless that's the _actual_
goal in opposing this, of course.)

    > I've already covered all the reasons I don't buy this in detail.

I can repeat "2+2=5" as many times as I like, but that won't make it true.

        Noel