Re: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-14.txt> (IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Address Space) to BCP

2012-02-14 11:45:29
Apologies for top posting rather than addressing specific
commentators, but there have been several misconceptions raised
several times that I felt should be addressed generically:

1) "We are out of IPv4 space / There's no-where to get this /10" -
There is already a /10 reserved by the ARIN community for this purpose
(as long as we don't drag our feet too long), please see:
https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2011_5.html

2) "Just use 1918 space" - I apologize for not having more data to
share, but I can tell you that I have spoken with numerous network
operators and NONE of them are willing to do this. ISPs will NOT use
RFC 1918 space, no matter how many times folks scream it from the tops
of ivory towers. Operational realities must sometimes trump ideals.

3) "CGN is bad" - This one is accurate. It has no bearing on this I-D
whatsoever though. Yes, CGN sucks and we want as few networks to use
it as possible. But, no matter what we do, some will have to deploy
it. This I-D is about helping reduce everyone's pain when they do.
Leaking squat space hurts more than just the one who leaks it...

4) "IPv6 is awesome" - Again, accurate but inconsequential here. IPv6
does not solve IPv4 connectivity issues. Operators are not solely
responsible for the lack of IPv6 penetration. Rather than throw stones
from our glass houses, we should focus on ensuring that the transition
can happen without shattering all of them.

I understand that many have strong emotional ties to their opinions.
My only hope is to point those with open minds in the right direction
as they seek to understand this issue more fully.

Cheers,
~Chris (speaking for myself, from an ivory tower made of glass)

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 16:03, The IESG <iesg-secretary(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>