Re: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-14.txt> (IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Address Space) to BCP

2012-02-16 11:17:18
Hi Nick,

On Thu, 2012-02-16 at 16:58 +0000, Nick Hilliard wrote:
There is no particular reason to allocate this space on a regional
basis, unless for some reason you believe that you can force carriers
only to use this shared address space for specific purposes - and I
cannot see why you think that this is remotely feasible for shared
address space.  Private address space, perhaps.  But certainly not
shared address space.

I'm not sure why a contract with a RIR would be less enforceable than
this I-D. On the contrary, I think the chances of correct use are higher
in that scenario than the other.

It's just bits, you know. IPv4-code on the general internet certainly
won't care about these bits. Routing policy however, may.  I do not see
how having the BCP makes any difference, if the allocation comes from
the RIR in either case, provided there is at least one RIR which can
assign address space to an entity who will share it.

Best,
Martin