Re: [dhcwg] TSVDIR review of draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv4-bulk-leasequery

2012-02-23 16:28:42
On Thu, 2012-02-23 at 17:00 -0500, Kim Kinnear wrote:
This says "MAY" leave open. That's not the complement to SHOULD close.

      We don't really care if you keep it open or not.  Really.
      If you think that you will be happier, keep it open.  If
      you think it is simpler to close it (as I do), then close
      it.  Different people (different authors even!) have different
      ideas about how they would structure the code for this.  That's
      ok.  The point about all of this open/closed/multiple-operations
      stuff it to leave it up to the implementor.  Period.  We are
      not trying to tell them exactly how to implement this.   We
      are trying to focus on the protocol aspects, and leave understood.

That's not what SHOULD means.  An RFC2119 SHOULD is very strong; if the
spec doesn't care what an implementation does, don't use SHOULD.

-- Jeff