On 02/24/2012 01:24 AM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
On Feb 23, 2012, at 5:18 PM, Tim Bray wrote:
On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 5:13 PM, Roy T. Fielding<fielding(_at_)gbiv(_dot_)com>
wrote:

How many times do we have to do this before we declare insanity?
I don't care how much risk it adds to the HTTP charter.  They are
all just meaningless deadlines anyway.  If we want HTTP to have
something other than Basic (1993) and Digest (1995) authentication,
then it had better be part of *this* charter so that the proposals
can address them.

Well, Digest already isn't used by anyone :)

A popular misconception because it works unseen.  See tools.ietf.org

Seriously, someone needs to propose some charter language or this
discussion is a no-op.  -Tim

"Proposals for new HTTP authentication schemes are in scope."

How would a plan like the following look to folks:

- httpbis is chartered to include auth mechanism work as
  per the above (or whatever text goes into the charter)
- that'll generate a slew of proposals, some good, some
  bad, some better-than-current and some too complex
- plan is for httpbis to pick something (one or more if
  they want, but one better-than-current one is the goal)
- give all the above a short timeframe (this year, pick
  which to work on at the same time as re-chartering for
  the details of HTTP/2.0 maybe)
- httpbis pick what they want, (zero or more) and go
  do their stuff

- if there's still enough interest in some proposals
  that were not picked by httpbis we then try charter a sec
  area wg to develop experimental specs for those so
  they're off the critical path for httpbis (the rest die
  unloved;-)
- those experimental specs would be REQUIRED to work with
  http/1.1 and/or http/2.0 (as appropriate) with no change
  required to http; that'd be in the charter for that
  putative sec wg
- that sec wg charter might also say that the putative
  wg is not allowed to add new schemes until the
  originally chartered ones are completed (to avoid
  people turning up every week with their shiny new
  scheme)

Might that be a way forward that'll give enough folks
enough of what they want/need?

Cheers,
S.