Re: provisioning software, was DNS RRTYPEs, the difficulty with

2012-03-03 10:02:04
On 03/Mar/12 00:13, John R. Levine wrote:

Until provisoning systems accept UNKNOWN record types they will
always be a bottle neck.  Without that you will have to wait for
the change request to be processed.  Given the history just getting
AAAA records added to most of these system it will be forever.

AAAA was unusually painful, since it requires adding a parser for IPv6
addresses.  (Having hacked it into my provisioning system, I speak
from experience.)  Most new RR types are just strings, numbers, names,
and the occasional bit field.

Yeah, and if ISPs already had troubles with ho-de-ho-de-ho-de-ho, how
will they join in on skee-bop-de-google-eet-skee-bop-de-goat?

Given that, designers of new RR types will want to stick to string
formats just to spare ISPs some parsing, at the cost of losing a half
of the advantages that RFC 5507 talks about, along with syntactic
validations aimed at preventing some permerror/permfail cases.

Doubtful. If a record needs to have, say, a priority field, or a port number,
given the existence of MX, SRV, and various other RRs it's going to be very
difficult for the designers of said field to argue that that should be done as
ASCII text that has to be parsed out to use.

More generally, this is trying to have things both ways. We can't
simultaneously assert that deploying simple new RRs is a breeze, making this
unnnecessary, and that it's so difficult that everything should be crammed into
TXT Format no matter the actual structure is.

                                NNed