Re: provisioning software, was DNS RRTYPEs, the difficulty with

2012-03-05 11:11:05
Sometimes an ASCII text record will be fine, in other cases, it probably
won't.

My point is as we move again towards multiple text representations of "the
digit five" for example,
both encoding and parsing is easier and more secure if that digit is really
for example eight bits
and not "text" that someone has to parse.

Unless you provision your DNS zones with a hex debugger, the digit
will always start out as text that someone has to parse.  The question
is who does the parsing, the DNS server or the application.  As I said
in a previous message, I can see plausible reasons to put the parser into
the application.

Would you really want to build an SPF or DKIM parser into every DNS
server?  That's a lot of code that the DNS manager doesn't care about,
but the mail manager does.

R's,
John

PS: For anyone who didn't read my previous message, I am NOT saying
that it's fine to overload everything into TXT.  I am saying that new
RRTYPEs that are text blobs interpreted by client software wouldn't
necessarily be bad.