Re: provisioning software, was DNS RRTYPEs, the difficulty with

2012-03-05 22:47:30
Would you really want to build an SPF or DKIM parser into every DNS
server?

Here's another thought experiment.  DKIM records are a sequence of
tag=value fields.  Let's imagine a binary version of DKIM records
where each field is a length byte, a tag byte, and a suitably coded
value.  For the values that are currently strings, it's the string,
for the values that are currently base64, it's the binary value.

Since DNS TXT records are a sequence of binary strings each preceded
by a length byte, we could just stuff this version of DKIM directly
into a TXT record, with the first binary string being "v=DKIM2".
Would that be a good idea?  DNS servers can serve the records without
adding any new features, the records will be marginally faster to
parse.

Would that be a good idea?  Why or why not?  Assume we wave our hands
and we have some way to create the records, hacks in provisioning
systems, or a wizard web site into which you type your parameters and
it gives you a TXT master file record full of hex escapes.

Or wave them even more vigorously and assume the parser is built into
some future version of BIND.

R's,
John