Re: provisioning software, was DNS RRTYPEs, the difficulty with

2012-03-07 06:57:20
On 07/Mar/12 09:42, ned+ietf(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

It would still be possible to work around the need for a plugin, e.g.
by depending on some wizard web site, as in John's thought experiment.

For the rest of us, the possibility to install a plugin that takes
care of all the nitty-gritty details, instead of having to wait for
the release and distribution of the next version of BIND, can make the
difference between deploying a new RR type right away and
procrastinating endlessly.

You're still not separating the two cases.

I think I did, however badly.  Let me try by example, assuming my
server doesn't recognize SPF.  As it's unrecognized, I have to write
it as such, e.g.

  TYPE99 \# 12 0B 763D73706631 20 2D613131

Again, an *optional* plugin to check syntax of a record but not
produce any sort of tokenized result is fine,

Now the plugin can check the syntax and spot the error.  I may correct
it or not.  If I don't, I'll just serve bad data.  In any case, my
zone source still contains the line above.  Thus the plugin is optional.

a plugin that's *mandatory* to deploy is going to be almost as much
of an impediment to deployment as requiring an upgrade. Code is
code, and people don't install new code willy-nilly.

Possibly, I can also run, say:

  echo 'SPF "v=spf1 -a11"' | plugin --dump-hex --silent

and have it dump the TYPE99 line above (without signalling the error,
since I said --silent).  Then I copy its output and paste it into the
zone source.

Finally, I can enable automatic invocation of the plugin.  That way, I
can write the SPF record directly in the zone source and have my
DNS-fictional server do the copy and paste on the fly for me.

I wouldn't call such thing "mandatory".

Correct, but when you publish a complex record you are calling forth
that complexity.  I don't see much difference if the bug is at mines
or at the remote site, since their effects are comparable.

They most certainly are not. A bug in my client only affects me, a bug
in the server can easily kill the entire zone.

Ooops, yes, that's right.