Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-appsawg-xdash-03.txt> (Deprecating Use of the "X-" Prefix in Application Protocols) to Best Current Practice

2012-03-06 20:02:52

On 07/03/2012, at 10:32 AM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

On 3/6/12 4:19 PM, Randall Gellens wrote:
At 3:30 PM -0700 3/6/12, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

In my working copy I've changed that paragraph to:

   Implementations of application protocols MUST NOT programatically
   discriminate between "standard" and "non-standard" parameters based
   solely on the names of such parameters (i.e., based solely on
   whether the name begins with 'x-' or a similar string of characters).

I like this wording, especially because it more clearly gets at the
heart of the document, which is to not discriminate based only on the
name prefix.

One question, though: should this be "SHOULD NOT" rather than "MUST
NOT"?   The interoperability doesn't depend on implementations
refraining from doing so, rather, we consider it more problematic to do
so than not, so we are making a strong recommendation to not to so.
Hence, "SHOULD NOT".

Hi Randall,

My co-author Mark Nottingham feels even more strongly about this issue
than I do, so I will let him comment.

To me, the target of that language is software that generically treats protocol
elements beginning with "x-" in a fundamentally different way, without
knowledge of its semantics. That is broken, causes real harm, and I have seen
it deployed.

Regards,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/