Re: [lisp] WG Review: Recharter of Locator/ID Separation Protocol (lisp)

2012-03-14 10:30:37
I don't think the proper analogy
is a bathroom. Everyone knows you can build bathrooms that work, having
seen successful examples in the past. You might instead think of a building
which includes a perpetual motion machine [*] as a key element.

Fair enough, and now I understand where you fall on the issue.

I agree that my analogy wasn't fully to the point.  But here's the question:
Do you really think the entire discussion has to finish in order to do
a meaningful architecture?  Is it not possible for the architecture
document to have a section about <strike>perpetual-motion
machines</strike> caching that talks about the needs, the benefits,
the drawbacks, and the tradeoffs, and leaves the final design and
decisions for later?  Such a section might well explain why the
required caching is difficult, bordering on impossible to get right,
or whatever.

At this level, do we need to *resolve* the questions and all the
design points?  Or is it possible to have a useful document that helps
everyone understand the issues, while leaving many of those issues
unresolved until later?

Barry