Re: Issues relating to managing a mailing list...

2012-03-15 08:56:10

--On Thursday, March 15, 2012 09:41 -0400 Cyrus Daboo
<cyrus(_at_)daboo(_dot_)name> wrote:

Along those lines how about setting up an IETF IMAP server
with mailboxes for each mailing list hosted by the IETF? That
way anyone with a capable IMAP client (one that can separately
download text and attachments as preferred by the user on a
per-mailbox basis) can choose to sync the messages as they
prefer based on their own circumstances. What is more, if
people use the IMAP server as their main way to access to the
mailing lists there are other big benefits: the mailboxes
provide a comprehensive searchable archive of messages
directly within the email client, users can subscribe with an
option to not have list email delivered to their own account -
that would remove the need to deliver lots of messages.

Yes, this would be a fairly big infrastructure change, but
there are significant benefits and flexibility to using IMAP
as a shared mailing list repository.

Including the traditional argument for eating our own dog food
rather than inventing and using idiosyncratic and non-standard
solutions.

Now, if only I could find a fully-competent IMAP client with a
decent IMAP-oriented UI and support for recently-added features
(not just to IMAP but including good support for current
versions of S/MIME and OpenPGPO, certificate formats, EAI,

       john