Re: Query to the community -- An additional IETF Meeting event?

2012-03-16 17:34:57
On 3/16/12 14:19 , Fred Baker wrote:

On Mar 16, 2012, at 2:13 PM, David Meyer wrote:

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Fred Baker <fred(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
wrote:
The question I would ask is: "who are the vendors marketing to,
and what are they selling?" At NANOG, that's fairly clear;
companies like Cisco and Juniper, and resellers like Network
Hardware, are selling to their customers, who are often technical
decision makers or senior staff in companies that buy the stuff.
The vendors that sponsor the event go home with business cards,
which give them the opportunity for sales contacts after the
event. Those people also come to IETF, but many others at IETF
are from exactly those vendors, or from research and academia.
I'm not convinced that the lead generation exercise, which is the
vendor's reason for showing up and sponsoring the event, is going
to be as useful for them.

Not opposed to the experiment, but not sure that we're comparing
apples to apples.

While I agree Fred, what the beer'n'gear really provides is another
venue for our community to socialize (just like any other social
event).

Of course, and socializing is a good thing. What I'm looking at is
the reason for the vendor to sponsor it. When I come to your and my
boss and say "gee, let's spend a few hundred thousand dollars in the
general direction of ISOC/IETF", I have to scramble a bit to answer a
long list of questions headed by "what's in it for me?" and "who's
budget does this come from?". I think I can say what question I would
be asked if I said "let's be a beer'n'gear sponsor". I'm not sure
that the answer I would give ranks with the one NANOG might give.

I'm neither for or against it in the particular case but I have served
on the nanog pc so I have been involved in organizing events like this.

There are actual operators why buy actual gear and services, who attend
ietf meetings. We're soemthing of a minority. that's an audience.

I would expect the net needs to be throw a little wider eg around
service organizations, other SDOs, and other entities that want a low
pressure social environment in which to share information about their
products services activities recruitment efforts etc.

Even at the IETF social events are "sponsored" to different
degrees. So while vendors get to display their wares, for the most
part B'n'G provides another "hallway" where people can
socialize/talk while having free beer and food (as well as a way
for NANOG to generate revenue). In the NANOG case this is a
win-win, however, for the reasons you cite it would be an
experiment at the IETF.

Dave