Re: IPv6 networking: Bad news for small biz

2012-04-05 06:21:51
Robert Raszuk wrote:

While it is obvious that we have no time to redesign IPv6 for the set of
valid reasons you mentioned one could observe that we do have time to
deploy it wisely via ID/LOC split architecture model.

Only architectural implication, if any, of ID/LOC separation
is that, with N addresses, plain 16B long addresses costs 16*N
bytes, while ID/LOC separated 16B long addresses costs 8*(N+1)
bytes.

However, as 8B long addresses cloud have cost 8*B bytes and
that 6B long addresses with 4B IPv4 addresses and 2B port
numbers, which is the address space provided by NAT, is more
than enough, there is no point to have IPv6 ID/LOC separation
nor IPv6, especially because NAT can be end to end transparent.

                                        Masataka Ohta