Re: [dane] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dane-protocol-19.txt> (The DNS-Based

2012-04-13 02:27:50
ned+ietf(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

In Section 1.2:

"This document applies to both TLS [RFC5246]"

Does this mean that DANE is not applicable for TLS 1.1?

RFC4346 (TLS 1.1) has been obsoleted by RFC5246.  We cannot make references
to obsoleted documents.  As a side note, we don't say "to both TLS 1.2",
but
just TLS.

I have no involvement with DANE or the rest of this debate, but I wanted to
point out that this simply isn't true. IDNits warnings to the contrary
notwithstanding, references to obsoleted specifications are not only
allowed,
but in some cases absolutely required.

Since the question keeps coming up again and again and again...

I firmly believe all three Obsoletion markers in the meta-data
of rfc5246 to be factually incorrect, so I filed an errata for this.

https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tls/current/msg08595.html

An entirely reasonable position to take IMO, but even if it weren't it doesn't
mean references to obsolete specifications aren't allowed.

                                Ned