Re: [dane] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dane-protocol-19.txt> (The DNS-Based

2012-04-25 10:15:54
On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 09:52:39AM -0400, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

dependency on the DNSSEC trust chain despite the easily observed fact
that less than 97% of DNS resolvers will pass anything other than
A/AAAA and CNAME records.

I'm having a hard time understanding that sentence.  Could you
clarify, please:

A.  Fewer than 97% of DNS resolvers can pass anything other than
A/AAAA and CNAME, which means something more than 3% of resolvers pass
only A/AAAA and CNAME.

    This is what I _think_ you mean, which means that n% > broken
    resolvers > 3%, right?  If so, I'd like a citation, though it
    doesn't sound wrong to me.  That we'd have something on the order
    of 3% of the software deployed everywhere on the Internet be
    broken ought to be completely unsurprising.

B.  97% of the DNS resolvers is the most that has ever been observed
working according to specification, and the number may be much lower.

    This is the rhetorical point I think might be read in.  In this
    case, I think a citation is in order.

Thanks,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com