Re: Future Handling of Blue Sheets

2012-04-25 09:44:19
On Tue, 24 Apr 2012, David Morris wrote:

The IETF meetings are actually not totally public. You must purchase a
'ticket' to attend. We would not allow someone to walk in off the street
and photograph the functions, or even sit in a meeting and take notes.

Without commenting specifically about photographs, as MSJ pointed out, this is not true. It may not be socially acceptable to crash working group meetings, but we do not use force to prevent it. And as Scott Bradner pointed out on this list some time ago:

   Back when the IETF decided to charge for meetings ($100/meeting
   sometime in the early 1990s) Steve Coya said that the IETF would
   never check badges to block people from meetings.

The Beijing meeting was a notable exception. There were guards looking for badges and at least one attendee's partner was restrained by the guards when she attempted to enter the meeting space to find her partner. Even then, it the IETF was not the party doing the checking. As the IAOC chair later explained:

   The IAOC was not aware that badge checking was going to happen
   prior to this meeting. It was implemented by the meeting host in
   conjunction with the hotel.

I imagine we would respond differently to something truly disruptive. Happily, we tend to be a civilized enough crowd that we don't need bouncers.

-- Sam