Re: Future Handling of Blue Sheets

2012-04-24 01:57:11

On 4/23/2012 1:13 AM, Kireeti Kompella wrote:
RFCs are not gospel. They can, and, in this instance, should, be changed:
either remove that last item, or stately explicitly that there is no
expectation of privacy at IETF meetings.  (I have a sinking feeling I know
which way that will go.)

Actually, an RFC like this /is/ gospel, for this topic. Gospel can be changed, as you note, according to IETF consensus.

However as much as I appreciate the benefits of privacy and the detriments of eroding it, I think there is an odd conceptual confusion taking place here: This is an entirely public event. It makes no sense to participate in a formal portion of that event and expect privacy.

That said, I've certainly no objection to adding to the bloat of warnings and declarations that we already have, in the humorous belief that listing this disclaimer will somehow change people's expectations...

d/
--
 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking