Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-mboned-64-multicast-address-format-01.txt> (IPv4-Embedded IPv6 Multicast Address Format) to Proposed Standard

2012-04-21 18:34:34
At 15:33 18-04-2012, The IESG wrote:
The IESG has received a request from the MBONE Deployment WG (mboned) to
consider the following document:
- 'IPv4-Embedded IPv6 Multicast Address Format'
  <draft-ietf-mboned-64-multicast-address-format-01.txt> as a Proposed
Standard

ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing lists by 2012-05-02. Exceptionally, comments
may be

Is there a write-up for this proposal?

In Section 2:

  "The format to build such addresses is defined in Section 3 for
   ASM mode and Section 4 for SSM mode."

I suggest expanding ASM and SSM on first use.

In Section 3:

  "To meet the requirements listed in Appendix A.2"

Wouldn't it be better to reference RFC 4291?

  "This field must follow the recommendations specified in [RFC3306]
   if unicast-based prefix is used or the recommendations specified
   in [RFC3956] if embedded-RP is used."

Shouldn't that be a MUST?

In Section 4:

  "Flags must be set to 0011."

Is that a requirement?

  "The embedded IPv4 address SHOULD be in the 232/8 range [RFC4607].
   232.0.0.1-232.0.0.255 range is being reserved to IANA."

Why is this a SHOULD?  What does being reserved to IANA mean?

Although the proposal appears simple, I would suggest further review as it updates RFC 4291.

Regards,
-sm