Re: Key difference between DCVPN and L2VPN/L3VPN

2012-04-24 16:53:12
On 24/04/2012 22:39, Linda Dunbar wrote:
I think that the Charter should have some text to identify the key differences
between DCVPN and L2VPN/L3VPN. If the key differences aren't properly
described, all the protocols developed for L2VPN and L3VPN will pop up as
potential solutions.
I do not think that the charter is the place to provide a technical definition of the difference between DCVPN and L2VPN/L3VPN. The charter sets the scope of the work.

Here are some key differences I see:
- Majority of VMs (or End-Systems) do communicate with external peers, even
though their volume may not be large. Most external peers access their VMs (or
End-Systems) in Data Centers via internet or IP network until packets reach the
Data Center gateway.

- Majority of VMs are end systems, vs. nodes in L2VPN/L3VPN are not.

That really would be a better fit in the requirements and framework documents.

- Stewart