Re: Future Handling of Blue Sheets

2012-04-24 17:12:54

On Apr 24, 2012, at 2:16 PM, John C Klensin wrote:

I think I completely agree with that.
   john

+ 1

--On Tuesday, 24 April, 2012 19:55 +0000 Christian Huitema
<huitema(_at_)microsoft(_dot_)com> wrote:

We see here a tension between two goals, engineering the
Internet and making standards for the Internet. In most cases,
the two goals are easily reconciled , as open standards are an
essential part of an open Internet. But here we have a
conflict. On one hand, good engineering would mean, setting
the best possible example in matters such as security and
privacy. On the other hand, public standard making seem to
require a very controlled participation process, in which
participants have effectively no privacy. Of the two goals, I
think we would be much better off emphasizing engineering and
downsizing process. The Internet did not develop because the
IETF had better processes than the ITU. It developed because
we cared about making the best possible network!

-- Christian Huitema