Re: Proposed IESG Statement on the Conclusion of Experiments

2012-04-25 21:18:02
Ned,

On Apr 25, 2012, at 10:46 AM, Ned Freed wrote:
I see no value in deallocating code point spaces and a huge amount of
potential harm.
It depends on the size of the space.

Why?  We're talking about completed "experiments". I'm unclear I see any
particular value in having IANA staff continue to maintain registries (which is
what I've translated "code point _spaces_" to) for the protocol defined within
the RFC(s) of that "experiment".  I could, perhaps, see memorializing the final
state of the registries for the "experiment" in an informational RFC, but don't
really see the point in cluttering up http://www.iana.org/protocols with more
junk than is already in there. Trying to find things is already annoying enough.

The takeaway here, I think, is that if you're going to "conclude" experiments,
you need to examine these allocations and do something sensible with them,
where "sensible" is rarely going to mean "deallocate".

I agree with the first part.  Don't understand the last part.

Regards,
-drc