Re: Is the IETF aging?

2012-04-27 10:27:19

On Apr 27, 2012, at 6:05 PM, Carsten Bormann wrote:

On Apr 27, 2012, at 16:41, Yoav Nir wrote:

Before 1950    2.9%
1950 - 1960   16.6%
1961 - 1970   33.7%
1971 - 1980   32.8%
After 1980    14.0%

Nice bell curve, יואב, but you can't pop that soap bubble of perception with
the bluntness of raw data :-)

Only 350 out of 1200 people answered the survey, so all caveats about bias
apply. It's also possible that the 20-somethings tend to sit in the back more,
and go to the microphone less. Maybe them young'uns are too busy clicking
"Like" on pictures of LOL-cats :-)

Maybe just the areas where PHB likes to work in are growing old? :-)

The old people in the security area do tend to look older than the old people
in other areas. Maybe the bell curve for the security area is different.

Many of the people doing the real work in CoRE are in their 20s, or have left
that age range just recently.  And no, they aren't all academics.  I think we
have a healthy age mix, with some pretty good gray-haired input as well.

I'm going to argue for an age column on the blue sheets so we get better data
:-)

Grüße, Carsten

PS.: Please, don't take any of this seriously.  Except for the CoRE age
statistics.
Dave Cridland's observations also definitely don't apply to CoRE, except that
we do have the stunning range of experience that makes the IETF so valuable.

PPS.: Is the overall median really 42?

Wait a couple of years, and most participants won't get why "42" is funny.