Re: Is the IETF aging?

2012-04-27 21:50:14

--On Friday, April 27, 2012 13:24 -0700 Paul Hoffman
<paul(_dot_)hoffman(_at_)vpnc(_dot_)org> wrote:

On Apr 27, 2012, at 12:23 PM, John C Klensin wrote:

At the risk of repeating something about which various ADs and
others have gotten an earful, unless there are very special
and unusual circumstances [Note 1], it is unwise to, e.g.,
have us chair a WG or assume many other leadership positions.
It is easy to say "So-and-so should chair this WG because,
based on a dozen before it, she knows how to do that".
Instead, it is better to find someone more junior and, if
appropriate, appoint the more senior people to advisory and
support roles.

So in addition to "Secretary" and "Technical Advisor", we can
start listing "Designated Greybeard". This is progress?

Actually, Paul, I'd consider the "Technical Advisor" title/role
to be completely adequate and appropriate if we were using it
better and more often.

   john