Re: Gender diversity in engineering

2012-05-01 18:08:41
But that leaves out all of us that started off in a different (technical)
field (Math and OR in my case) and ended up here..

Janet

written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of
e-mail for such purpose.

From:   "James M. Polk" <jmpolk(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
To:     IETF-Discussion list <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Date:   05/01/2012 04:40 PM
Subject:        Gender diversity in engineering
Sent by:        ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

There have been some good numbers floated on recent threads, but at
least for me, they aren't enough to gain a complete (or nearly
complete) picture of the issue.

Having studied statistics, we need to know a starting point, and look
for the reductions (or increases) from that point forward. Starting
in high school is not sufficiently refined enough, as there are a lot
that take advanced math (personally I'd start with trig - because
that kicked my ass - but rarely is it its own class, so let's start
with calculus 1) that don't go into engineering. Thus, high school is
probably not a good place to measure from. Therefore, it needs to be
college.

We need to know

% of class (based on year started) that is female in engineering
    (do we want to start with electrical and CS to
     be more applicable to our situation?)

We'll call that percent 'X'

then

%X of drops from engineering (BS) (or just elec/CS?) over the college
years before graduation?

then

%X that enter workforce after BS in Engineering (or just elec/CS?)
into the engineering field?

then

%X that start graduate school (MS) in engineering (or just elec/CS)?

%X that receive MS degree in engineering (or just elec/CS)?

%X that enter workforce after MS in Engineering (or just elec/CS?)
into the engineering field?

then

%X that start doctoral school (PhD.) in engineering (or just elec/CS)?

%X that achieve PhD. in engineering (or just elec/CS)?

then

%X that enter workforce after PhD in Engineering (or just elec/CS?)
into the engineering field?

This will likely track those that are entering the engineering
workforce, and with what level of education. From that point in the
analysis - we can attempt to track at what point there are further
drops out of the engineering workforce by women (i.e., after how many
years). Or is it as simple as problems after childbirth to reenter
the workforce (for whatever reason).

As an example, if there is a significant difference from those that
drop out after their BS from those that drop out MS, then maybe
something should be done to encourage women to stay for the MS.

comments or questions?

James