Re: Gender diversity in engineering

2012-05-08 08:02:16

On May 8, 2012, at 1:12 PM, Yaakov Stein wrote:

Around 30%-40%. I don't have hard numbers,
but I have a feeling that it has gone down a bit in the last 10 years.

Yoav,

Your feelings are quite accurate as to the range,
but less so regarding the trend.
According to a recent study, 35.6% of high-tech employees in Israel are women,
and this percentage has been relatively stable for the past 10 years.

Women make up 47.5% of all employees with academic credentials (as of 2010)
in all sectors,
so high-tech is actually comparatively under-represented.
On the other hand, only 32.9% of managerial positions (in all sectors)
are occupied by women.

I can believe that. It could be specific to Check Point. OTOH there are those
companies with departments where only women work. That could be keeping the
balance.

Yoav