RE: Last Call: <draft-farrresnickel-ipr-sanctions-05.txt> (Sanctions Available for Application to Violators of IETF IPR Policy) to Informational RFC

2012-05-09 05:58:28
Hi,

I don't even own a television on which to watch people pretending to be
lawyers...

Both Brian and Yoav are making a worthwhile point, but I don't see how this I-D
changes what happens on IETF mailing lists as normal business. It is perfectly
possible for the IETF lists to be used to libel someone with or without this
I-D.

Brian makes a good point that the text should make it clear what level of
back-up we expect for such a claim. In writing the original text I had assumed
that everyone behaves like a reasonable adult when participating in the IETF -
gosh, am I naif?

Will fold in text close to Brian's suggestion.

Thanks,
Adrian

I am not a lawyer either, but I think it depends on jurisdiction whether a
mailing
list will be considered as a media outlet or merely a "conduit".

What the IETF writes in its policy amounts to a plea to users to pretty please
send
only factual information. I don't know that it makes a difference as to who is
liable
if the information turns out to be non-factual.