Re: Leverage Patent Search API to reduce BCP79 related issues [was: Re: Last Call: draft-farrresnickel-ipr-sanctions-05.txt]

2012-05-10 07:47:56
On 10/05/2012 11:55, Hector Santos wrote:
Always looking for automated solutions, perhaps the IETF I-D submissions
process should include a patent database query check using document
authors, document titles, abstract, keywords etc to find possible exact or
near filings made, and if any are found, it can report immediately at the
web site and/or send as part of the I-D submission confirmation message,
something like so:

The world is a large place.  If this process is implemented, it might also
be wise to search other large patent offices.  In order of population size:

- China Patent and Trademark Office
- The Patent Office of India
- European Patent Office
- USPTO
- Japan Patent Office

A more complete list can be found here:

http://www.wipo.int/directory/en/urls.jsp

The european and chinese patent offices would seem to be of at least equal
significance to the USPTO, on the basis that they are the relevant
intellectual property agencies for the #1 and #3 global economic powers.
Japan comes in at #4.

This will create Interesting Problems in terms of getting appropriate clue
to search chinese and japanese patent databases.

Nick