Re: IETF Nominations Committee Chair - 2012 - 2013

2012-07-04 12:24:41
Mehmet,

In my experience, the most important characteristic for a nomcom chair is
the ability to lead a group of 10 volunteers (usually with a significant
variation of experience in IETF) through the process as defined by RFC
 3777 (and 5680).    It can be good for a chair to have past Nomcom
experience, but I do not believe that is a hard requirement (I had never
served on a Nomcom before I was chair).  It can be good for a Nomcom chair
to have been a WG chair as they can understand more about the process. BUT,
the chair is not the decision maker - the voting members are - the most
important thing is for the chair to be able to facilitate the process as
defined.  It's far more important for the voting members to have that
knowledge than the chair.   Now, it can be more challenging if a chair
hasn't been involved in IETF for a while, but AFAIK, Matt has been involved
in the RAI area (as a participant/contributor) for a while and if you
google you can find he's also been involved in the Security area on the
SECDIR. You can see the work he's been involved in here in authorstats:
http://www.arkko.com/tools/allstats/mattlepinski.html

Honestly, one of the most important aspect of the Nomcom process is for the
Nomcom to get community feedback. You can read my report from 2009-2010 and
that is an issue as the information that the nomcom is working with
typically is extremely incomplete.  Many nomcom voting members have little
experience with interviewing and hiring "employees".  You also have to keep
in mind that the past Nomcom chair serves as an advisor for the current
Nomcom chair, which dramatically reduces the risk in the case that the
appointed chair runs into problems.

I sincerely thank Matt for his willingness to take on this task as it
requires a tremendous time commitment and dedication to do well.

Regards,
Mary.

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 4:18 AM, Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich) <