Re: IETF Nominations Committee Chair - 2012 - 2013

2012-07-05 06:32:52
+1

I agree to work with you, internet community and Mr.Matthew Lepinski,
to progress the process for nominations, and make it successful,

AB
If people work together as a team, best practices and success are reached

Mehmet,

In my experience, the most important characteristic for a nomcom chair
is the ability to lead a group of 10 volunteers (usually with a
significant variation of experience in IETF) through the process as
defined by RFC  3777 (and 5680).    It can be good for a chair to have
past Nomcom experience, but I do not believe that is a hard
requirement (I had never served on a Nomcom before I was chair).  It
can be good for a Nomcom chair to have been a WG chair as they can
understand more about the process. BUT, the chair is not the decision
maker - the voting members are - the most important thing is for the
chair to be able to facilitate the process as defined.  It's far more
important for the voting members to have that knowledge than the
chair.   Now, it can be more challenging if a chair hasn't been
involved in IETF for a while, but AFAIK, Matt has been involved in the
RAI area (as a participant/contributor) for a while and if you google
you can find he's also been involved in the Security area on the
SECDIR. You can see the work he's been involved in here in
authorstats:
http://www.arkko.com/tools/allstats/mattlepinski.html

Honestly, one of the most important aspect of the Nomcom process is
for the Nomcom to get community feedback. You can read my report from
2009-2010 and that is an issue as the information that the nomcom is
working with typically is extremely incomplete.  Many nomcom voting
members have little experience with interviewing and hiring
"employees".  You also have to keep in mind that the past Nomcom chair
serves as an advisor for the current Nomcom chair, which dramatically
reduces the risk in the case that the appointed chair runs into
problems.

I sincerely thank Matt for his willingness to take on this task as it
requires a tremendous time commitment and dedication to do well.

Regards,
Mary.

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 4:18 AM, Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich)