Re: Some thoughts about draft-leiba-3777upd-eligibility-02.txt

2012-08-21 16:28:16
I assume the intent is exclude people who are paid by the IETF to do
work in the IETF.  For example, the IAD.

Correct.

In these cases it difficult to tell if an individual is working for the
IETF "long-term full-time work".

Indeed; it's difficult in many cases.

If this text is to remain, it needs to be clearer as to what it means.

Which may say that it should not remain.

The specific exclusions that are in the real "rules" part are for the
IETF Secretariat and the RFC Editor.  I would be just as happy to
remove those.  We can question whether we want to leave the RSE in,
specifically, but there's probably no real need to exclude the paid
RFC Editor function employees.  I'll note that the IAD is already
excluded by the "ex-officio" clause (he's an ex-officio IAOC member).
The current IAD has told me that he thinks it would be inappropriate
for the IAD to volunteer in any case, whether or not he's allowed to.

Margaret has commented that this stuff should come out.  Others, in
early conversations and discussions about all of this, thought it
should be in.  Further comments appreciated.

In particular: should bullet 15,2 (and its supporting text elsewhere)
be removed?

Barry