Re: copyright notices in RFC 6716

2012-09-13 15:01:34
"Cullen Jennings (fluffy)" <fluffy(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> writes:

I was only peripherally involved in this and don't know all the in's
and outs of this but let me try and provide a bit of information and
hopefully someone from the IETF Trust or RFC Editor can correct me
where I am wrong.

Thanks.  Input from members of the Trust, if they were involved, would
be appreciated.

The internet draft was done with the normal boiler plate that granted
a bunch of rights to the IETF Trust. There was also text in the draft
where the authors granted additional rights.  The trust normally
publishes the RFC with about the same license that is used in the
draft however the Trust retains the rights to do whatever they want
within the range of the license granted to them in the draft. In this
case, the RFC was published with slightly different boiler plate than
what was in draft.

That is not the case, draft -16 had the same license.

So no, I don't think the policy has changed, and no I don't think this
was a mistake. I think the RFC Editor working with the IETF Trust and
IETF legal advice made this change. My understanding of the reasons
for the change was something like this makes it easier for some linux
distribution to include the RFC with their distribution or
something.

I don't believe that is the case here.  The license used is the same as
normal license, only the copyright header is different.  Distributions
rarely cares who the copyright holder is.  IETF rules says additional
copyright notices aren't permitted.

/Simon

Keep in mind this is a weird RFC in that it includes a huge amount of
normative code in the RFC.

Hope this helps - and amazed anyone noticed.

Cullen

PS - I may have this all wrong - I'm not the person that knows but I
hope that provides some help.
On Sep 13, 2012, at 8:18 AM, Simon Josefsson <simon(_at_)josefsson(_dot_)org>