Re: copyright notices in RFC 6716

2012-09-18 16:47:50
On 9/18/2012 2:33 PM, Simon Josefsson wrote:
Russ,

I can't seem to align what you say with the document content.  The
rights granted by the license text in the document (quoted below)
appears to me be identical to the TLP except that the copyright header
also includes non-authors.  Is this what you refer to with granting
additional rights?

My concern is not about rights granted (they appear to follow the TLD),
but with the form of the copyright header that deviates from the TLD
boilerplate.
Is there from this point forward a requirement for future works in this vein to also use the same rights statement? I am curious because of the complexity of merging this with other right specific issues.

For instance if ID "A" is published with normal use rights and it is expanded in a revision which then increases its rights to some secondary set of rights-states and in so doing permanently seems to alter the baseline.

What also if ID "A" is published with rights-set #1 and a formal work (like those described in the AIA (the America Invents Act) for instance, and then this is altered. The issue is how these rights do or do not promulgate from ID or RFC revision-to-revision.

Todd//
What puzzles me is that the explanation that I have received earlier is
that variations beyond what the TLP demand is not permitted even if
there is community support for the content of a particular document.
I'm happy if this is now the policy, as it would allow including more
source code into RFCs.

/Simon

Russ Housley <housley(_at_)vigilsec(_dot_)com> writes:

Simon:

The authors wanted to grant additional rights beyond those that are
granted by the TLP.  They indicated those rights in Section 10 of the
internet-Draft.  This was challenged during WG Last Call, and it was
challenged during IETF Last Call.  In each case, the authors make
their desire clear and the community supported them.  For this reason
the IETF Trust granted the usual TLP rights and the additional rights
as well.

Russ