Re: Draft IESG Statement on Removal of an Internet-Draft from the IETF Web Site

2012-09-14 10:22:42
I don't think that the Note Well note has much to do with what Joe started
talking about

we have had this discussion before

quite a few years ago (pre tools) I suggested moving "expired" IDs to an
"expired IDs" directory
rather than removing them from the IETF public repository as well as posting
all the old
expired IDs in the same directory (changing only the filename to prepend
"expired-")

seemed like a good idea to me & to many other people, for the reasons people
find the tools ID archive
useful & the IESG at the time said to move ahead

Steve Coya started the (long) process f pulling the old IDs from backup tapes

as he was finishing that process a new IESG was seated and the new IESG was not
as in
favor of the idea and wanted a fuller mailing list discussion (there had been a
short
discussion when I proposed the idea)

there were a few people (Joe was one) that felt that IDs were published under
the rights implied
in rfc 2026, which said that IDs expired, and, thus, the IETF did to have the
right to not remove them
(there fact that other repositories existed did not change the IETF's rights in
their opinion - in at least
one case someone (I think Bill Manning) sent letters to some of those archives
asking that their
ID be removed)

with support from the then IETF lawyer, I suggested that there be a way for a
ID author to
request that their ID be removed from the expired IDs directory but that idea
did not carry the
day and the expired IDs directory idea died

then, at some later point, the tools function showed up - I do not think I was
still on the
IESG at that point so I do not know if the IESG discussed the question

I think this is a very useful service (for history of how the technology
evolved
and for prior art searches in patent cases) and think that pretending that
anything
published on the Internet ever quite goes away is not realistic.

Scott