Re: Draft IESG Statement on Removal of an Internet-Draft from the IETF Web Site

2012-09-19 15:29:42

On 9/19/2012 11:24 AM, John Levine wrote:
Utility can determine whether it's worth the effort/expense to run a
public archive, but your utility never undermines my rights as an author.

We're very deep into Junior Lawyer territory here.

I'm not. I'm simply refuting *any* argument that starts with "because it's useful to the community".

There are other arguments - that lawyers will make - that depend on the particular boilerplate used, when the ID was published, whether click-based copyright transfer holds up, and so forth.

But utility doesn't drive the law. There are rights -rights of the author, and rights of the copyright holder - which are protected here, and they trump any perceived benefit to the community.

Joe