Re: Re: Antitrust FAQ

2012-10-15 07:53:33
Pete, I have not been so frustrated and disappointed reading an IETF
message at any time earlier this year.
I'm disappointed because I'd like to work in an IETf climate where
antitrust and related concerns are taken seriously.
I need to believe that the IESG will take these issues seriously, will
give chairs and others the tools they need to do a good job and will
seriously consider concers that arise.

I can recall a number of instances when I've raised concerns about not
having the appropriate tools or clarity of process in this regard. I can
also recall two instances where I've raised specific concerns about
anti-competitive practices.
In all these instances, including this one, I received pushback from an
area director working for a large company--Cisco, Ericson, Qualcomm,
etc.

Would you be willing to consider the following questions?

1) What harm is done by writing down common information in a FAQ where
chairs will be able to find it when trying to confirm they are doing the
right thing or double check what they should be considering?

2) How messages like yours will affect chairs and others willingness to
bring concerns to you in your role of area director.

Thanks for your consideration,

--Sam