Re: Antitrust FAQ

2012-10-12 12:00:51

Sam,

Here are some responses for your consideration.

Jorge

On 10/11/12 3:32 PM, "Sam Hartman" <hartmans-ietf(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu> wrote:

Hi, Russ.

In question 2,
I don't understand what several terms are and whether they have any
relation to the standards process.

The one most confusing is "agreements to restrict output"

This is when companies agree to reduce their production in order to
increase demand/prices.  For example, a group of ISPs get together at an
IETF meeting and agree that they will each only offer a limited quantity
of high-bandwitdh Internet access.

Also, more detail on what an anticompetitive reason to restrict someone
from the standards process could help.

For example 3 old-line manufacturers get together and decide that they
don't want a particular up-and-coming competitor to be part of a WG
because they would prefer to stick with their current technology
architecture.

I'd also expect to see:

7) What should be considered when evaluating the composition of design
teams to avoid antitrust concerns?

Technical expertise, balance of interests (per the discussion in the join
IEEE/IAB/IETF document that was recently released), and no dominance by
any particular company.

8) What responsibilities do chairs have in avoiding antitrust concerns
within their WGs.

Without a formal Antitrust policy, I don't think there are any official
responsibilities.  However, the prudent chair will try to dissuade
anticompetitive conduct in his/her WG, and will report suspected
anticompetitive activity to the IESG.

9) What should chairs, editors or other participants do if they have
concerns about something they observe in the IETF process?

See above

These are not hypothetical concerns.  In all three cases I've had the
question with regard to specific events and not been sure what to do.