Re: [whatwg] New URL Standard from Anne van Kesteren on 2012-09-24 (public-whatwg-archive(_at_)w3(_dot_)org from September 2012)

2012-10-23 11:17:12
On Tue, 23 Oct 2012, Jan Algermissen wrote:

The point is that what you and Anne are addressing is parsing of URI
*References* not URIs.

Anne's spec defines how you get from any arbitrary string (plus a base
URL) to a data structure with fields like scheme, hostname, port, path,
etc. The input can be absolute, completely invalid, the empty string,
whatever.

This is why any references to fixing or aligning URI syntax with reality
is besides the point and not neccessary. All that you (we) deal with is
URI references and how to parse them to yield valid URIs.

That's certainly part of the required work, yes. It's not all of it.